Nyesom Wike, the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has promised that the ongoing Abuja Millennium Tower and Cultural Center will be completed by the year 2025.
Wike said this while briefing journalists on Friday in Abuja.
The construction of the tower started since 2006 during the Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration.
The project continued its low start where it was topped in 2014 and nine after the new administration of Bola Ahmed Tinubu is set to see that the tower is ready.
The former governor of Rivers state while briefing the press on Friday said: “We have chosen about ten contracts if not more than that. We have called the companies, we have agreed. As I speak to you now, why the FCDA is not here, I have directed him not to join us, to make sure that all the files I approved since last week go to the director of treasury and payment must be made.”
“We are signing with the companies on how we will pay final. In essence, we have introduced what we call an ISPO; tying all our projects to our internally generated revenue so that at the end of every month we will know what each company is taking and then we know the duration those contracts will end.
“We have agreed with some companies six months and some companies fifteen months. In fact, like the Millennium Tower, they have agreed to finish it in two years and we are paying them every month three billion Naira.”
“We don’t want any project without funding we can’t award projects depending on the national budget is a problem so we will utilise the idea to tie it to specific projects so that will reduce the abandoning of projects in the FCT.
The Minister also promised the flag-off of some road projects in the city in the coming days.
“That is what is going on now. On Monday we are flagging off the resurfacing of most of the roads in Garki, Maitama because the roads are horribly bad and to make sure that contractors are also paid, most of the project we are redoing now there is nothing like lack of funds, there is funding for those projects,” he said.