Liverpool’s Title Hopes Boosted as Man City and Arsenal Settle for Stalemate


In a highly anticipated clash at the Etihad Stadium, Arsenal thwarted the reigning champions Manchester City’s offensive efforts, resulting in a goalless draw.

This outcome allowed Liverpool to ascend to the top spot in the Premier League standings on a pivotal day in the title race.

Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal, vying for their first league title in two decades, sit in second place with 65 points and nine games remaining, while City trails closely behind in third place with 64 points.

Liverpool’s earlier 2-1 comeback triumph over Brighton & Hove Albion propelled them to the top of the table with 67 points.

Despite City’s dominance in possession, controlling 72.2% of the game and launching numerous attacks, Arsenal’s disciplined defense, led by Erling Haaland, frustrated Pep Guardiola’s side.

This resilient defensive performance extended Arsenal’s unbeaten league streak to nine games and halted City’s streak of eight consecutive wins at the Etihad Stadium.

Manchester City, known for their prolific attack, found themselves limited to just one shot on goal during the match against Arsenal. This marked a significant departure from their usual offensive prowess, as it was the first time in 58 home games that they failed to score.

The resolute defensive display by Arsenal effectively stifled City’s attacking threat, preventing them from finding the back of the net and ending their impressive scoring streak at home.

“We want all the three points obviously, and we tried our best to get the win … but we’ll take the point and move on,” Arsenal skipper Martin Odegaard said.

“We had to defend a lot, a bit more deep than we would have liked. It was a tight game and a tough one. So much can happen before the end of the season, we have to take it game-by-game.”

Arsenal’s Gabriel Jesus came close to breaking the deadlock, with two shots narrowly missing the target in the first half, and narrowly failing to connect with a promising cross from Bukayo Saka.

Meanwhile, Manchester City’s best opportunity came from Kevin De Bruyne’s early corner kick, which was deflected off Nathan Ake’s shoulder but safely gathered by Arsenal goalkeeper David Raya.

Despite City’s persistent pressure in the latter stages of the game, Arsenal’s defense held firm to deny them any clear-cut chances.

Erling Haaland, usually reliable in front of goal, missed a golden opportunity late in the game when he failed to make contact with the ball following a header from Josko Gvardiol, much to the frustration of both Haaland and the City fans.

READ ALSO: Frustrating Outing For Pochettino After 10-man Burnley Drew 2-2 Stamford Bridge

Although Arsenal didn’t showcase the attacking flair they’ve displayed in recent weeks, having scored an impressive 33 goals in eight consecutive league victories, their ability to neutralize City’s potent attack can be deemed a success for the Gunners.

This defensive resilience contrasts sharply with their previous encounter at the Etihad, where they suffered a heavy 4-1 defeat last season as City cruised to the title.

“We can’t be satisfied when we draw,” said Arsenal defender William Saliba. “We leave with one point, but we are not satisfied. We know they are the best team in the world, so we have to be focused.

“We didn’t score but we didn’t concede, so we are happy. We defended well. We have to keep going like that.”

The match served as the concluding showdown between two of the top three teams in the current season.

WhatsApp Image 2023 08 28 at 10.48.48 AM 1


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here